Friday, January 9, 2009

Wrist pain sucks

Since about mid-November, I've been having pain in my wrists. It came on gradually and has gotten steadily worse. It was getting really hard to do things like pick up Caden and Rohan, and sometimes hard to do simple things like pull my keys out of my pocket. Just before Christmas I finally went to the doctor, who said it was tendinitis. Joy.

Today I had an appointment with an occupational therapist. It was somewhat cool; the therapist did all sorts of tests to isolate exactly what the problem areas were. I learned quite a bit about the anatomy of the wrists. Anyway, she decided I should get a splint on my right wrist. She wanted to splint both wrists, but thought that might make daily life a little difficult. I'm glad she just went with one.

Here's the splint. It immobilizes my thumb and extends up my forearm.

From splint


In addition to helping me heal, it's good for spreading positive vibes, and for hitchhiking:

From splint


Hopefully I recover quickly. This is going to majorly interfere with my already scarce video game time.

2 comments:

  1. At least you're keeping a positive outlook on it. It could just as easily be a thumbs down.

    I went through a bout with tendinitis in high school, I had issues with both wrists. My doctor was also a musician, and he was very helpful. I was on anti-inflammatories for about two months, had to wear wrist wraps during the day, and had to use hot packs before gigs and ice packs afterwards. In the end, it turned out to be the length of my strap that caused the problem.

    Maybe you can get somebody at the office to just type everything for you. You can just yell code at them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As for video gaming, I recommend Wii Fit, as it relies totally on your feet and the balance board. It's fun!

    Hang in there, homie! Get well soon.

    ReplyDelete