Monday, August 18, 2008

Cleaning a Glass Carboy Sucks

I've always been a fan of beer. Well, not always, but since I've been of age. Or possibly slightly before. Anyway, this summer I've started homebrewing. Ben and Ryan have both been brewing for a while, and earlier this summer they lent me some spare equipment and helped me through the process of brewing and bottling my first batch. It was a Copper Ale, and I thoroughly enjoyed the whole process, from the serenity and wonderful aroma of the boil to the rewarding first taste a month later.

About a week ago I borrowed another friend's equipment to brew another batch with Ben and Ryan; this time it's a Light Scottish Ale. Over this weekend I had to crack open the fermenter to add some oak chips, and I decided that before I did so it was time to stop mooching off my friends and buy my own equipment.

I headed over to Midwest Homebrewing Supplies and bought a kit:

The kit contained all the basic supplies for brewing and bottling beer. I also bought some other accessories, like a wort chiller (very useful for quickly cooling down your beer-in-progress before putting it into a fermenter).

Let me just say that Midwest Homebrewing Supplies is an awesome place if you're interested in brewing. There's so much there to look at. I could wander for a long time looking at all the equipment for making beer and wine. I felt like a kid on Christmas when I drove out of that place! If anyone needs gift ideas for me, just head on over to their website.

So now I have joined the ever-growing legion of homebrewers. Should be a fun time! I'll post updates here about what I brew. Too bad for your sake, dear reader, that I can't post taste samples...

If you're not familiar with homebrewing you might be wondering about the title of this post. A glass carboy is that big glass bottle you see in the picture above. I used a borrowed carboy to ferment my Scottish Light Ale. Once I had my own carboy I siphoned the beer from the borrowed one to mine. That went fine, but then I had to clean the stuck-on dead yeast from the inside of the borrowed carboy. Look at the hole at the top of that thing - it's tiny! Cleaning the inside is no easy job. The long L-shaped brush in the picture helps, but it's still no easy task. Even though that part was a pain, I still enjoyed the process. I take that as a sign that this is a good hobby for me!

1 comment:

  1. Yeah, man, if you enjoy cleaning the carboy, then this is the hobby for you. :^D Here are a couple of things that have helped make that chore at least a little easier for me. You can get a bottle washer from midwest that attaches to a sink or hose and sprays a jet of water...handy for that yeast cake. Also, the carboy brush didn't quite reach the sides for me until I realized with wonder that it bends. Once you pop it in there and scrub out the upper lip, you can put one more bend in it so that it's kind of shaped like a Z...suddenly it reaches those areas high on the wall where the krausen cakes. Either way, it's still a heck of a chore to get them completely clean.

    ReplyDelete