Monday, August 24, 2009

Beer review: Ommegang Chocolate Indulgence Stout

Last night Dina and I cracked open a bottle of Ommegang Chocolate Indulgence Stout:



Dina bought this as a gift about a month ago, but until last night we hadn't had a good time to try it out.

This beer is a share-me. I can't imagine someone drinking the whole bottle on their own...it's just too rich. It's a very dark, nearly opaque, brown color with a fairly thick light tan head. The beer is a Belgian style, with some sweetness, lots of malt, fairly mild hops, noticeable alcohol, distinctive Belgian yeast flavor, and all kinds of complexity in the taste. It tasted slightly different with every sip...as the beer warmed, different flavors came to the front, all of them dark and rich. There wasn't as much overwhelming chocolate flavor as I expected given the name, but you could definitely taste the chocolate notes throughout.

I'd give this beer a 4 out of 5 stars, with the caveat that I could only handle about half a bottle every two months or so. Great beer...but meant for special occasions.

No comments:

Post a Comment